The Fertitta family is a prominent American family known for their success in the hospitality, gaming, and sports industries. The family’s patriarch, Lorenzo Fertitta, along with his brother Frank Fertitta III, are the co-founders of Station Casinos, a chain of casinos and hotels in the Las Vegas area. The Fertitta brothers also owned the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), a mixed martial arts organization, which they sold for $4 billion in 2016.
The Fertitta family has also been involved in the restaurant industry, with Lorenzo and Frank’s cousin, Tilman Fertitta, being the CEO of Landry’s, a company that owns and operates over 600 restaurants, hotels, and casinos worldwide. Tilman Fertitta is also the owner of the Houston Rockets, a professional basketball team in the National Basketball Association (NBA).
The Fertitta family has an estimated net worth of over $8 billion, according to Forbes. They are known for their philanthropic activities, with Lorenzo and his wife supporting various charities and organizations, including the Keep Memory Alive Foundation and the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health.
How the Fertitta Family Became an Empire of Station Casinos?
From rags to riches, the Fertitta family embody the American dream. When Frank Fertitta Jr. arrived in Las Vegas in 1960 he was determined to make a name for himself. He rose out of humble beginnings & made his family one of the most powerful in the world. Las Vegas was forever changed by the relentless entrepreneurial spirit of this infamous family.
Fortunately, the family legacy didn’t stop with Frank Fertitta. His two sons now manage an empire that covers more than just a slew of casinos. They own the UFC, the fastest-growing sport in history. When you examine this family you can’t help but admire their adventurous approach to business.
Brothers Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta inherited their father’s casino business in 1993. They went on to acquire the rights to mixed-martial-arts league Ultimate Fighting Championship in 2001 for a tiny fraction of what the ultraviolent business is worth today. With offices in Toronto, Sao Paulo, Singapore, and London, UFC generates the largest pay-per-view audience in the world and is broadcast to more than 1 billion homes in 30 languages across 149 countries.
The pair also owns Las Vegas-based Station Casinos, which emerged from bankruptcy in 2011 and now has 19 U.S. locations. The brothers launched ultimatepoker.com in 2013, the first legal online gambling site, but were forced to shut it down in late 2014 amid operational mistakes and a challenging regulatory environment.
The Fertitta Family Fortune Was Built With Ingenuity
Frank Fertitta Jr. was a man who beat the odds & went on to conquer Las Vegas. In 1938 he was born into a humble family in Beaumont, Texas. He lived a normal life, graduating from high school & getting married. But this didn’t quench his appetite for adventure. In 1960 he & his wife moved out to Las Vegas, Nevada.
It was far from perfect, he ended up having to get a job at the Tropicana Hotel just to make ends meet while he learned to be a dealer. Once he finally became a dealer he spent the next 16 years rising the ranks in the casinos. During this time he went from a dealer to pit boss, baccarat manager and then general manager at properties including the Stardust, Tropicana, Circus Circus, Sahara and the Fremont in downtown Las Vegas.
With his extensive experience in the industry, he realized that Las Vegas lacked a place for locals to play when they got off of work. This inspired him to open his own business called “The Casino”. At the time The Casino was located in an area that was practically desert, & everyone thought he was crazy. But in the end Frank had the last laugh as his casino exploded in popularity, going on to become one of the biggest casinos in Sin City. He parlayed this success into founding a gaming company called Station Casinos. He became a pillar of the Las Vegas casino industry & remained on top until his tragic death from heart complications in 2009.
Frank Fertitta Jr. taught his sons well, & they ended up saving the family fortune. Both Lorenzo & Frank Fertitta III inherited their father’s tenacious approach to business. A begrudged bondholder caused Station Casinos to file bankruptcy in 2009. Even though the Fertitta family made shrewd investments to maintain ownership, another investment ended up becoming their salvation. This unexpected success did more than just save Station Casinos, it took the Fertitta family to a whole new level.
To everyone’s surprise, a foray into mixed martial arts ended up growing the family fortune exponentially. In 2001, Lorenzo purchased the Ultimate Fighting Championship with the help of a childhood friend. With his brother’s help, they founded Zuffa LLC, which went on to dominate mixed martial arts. Zuffa LLC acquired World Extreme Cagefighting, Pride Fighting Championships, as well as their MMA rival Strike Force LLC. All of these companies were later absorbed by the UFC. Today the UFC is the fastest growing sport in history, as well as one of the most lucrative. Thanks to the combination of revenue from Station Casinos & Zuffa LLC both brothers are worth a staggering $1.5 billion.
The success of the Fertitta family proves that you don’t have to be born into wealth to achieve success. The family fortune could have easily fallen apart if Frank Fertita Jr. hadn’t instilled a strong work ethic on his children. Being at the right place at the right time is worthless if you don’t have entrepreneurial mindset. Hopefully both brothers follow suit with their children so this empire will continue to grow.
What are Station Casinos?
Station Casinos is a chain of casinos and hotels based in Las Vegas, Nevada. The company was co-founded by brothers Frank Fertitta III and Lorenzo Fertitta in 1976, Fertitta Family, and it has since grown to become one of the largest locals’ casino operators in the United States.
The company’s properties are primarily located in the Las Vegas area, with a total of 19 properties including the Palace Station, Sunset Station, and Red Rock Resort. Station Casinos also operates several smaller casinos under the Wildfire brand.
In addition to gaming and hotel accommodations, Station Casinos offers a variety of entertainment options, including restaurants, bars, and live music venues. The company is known for its commitment to customer service and has won numerous awards for its hospitality.
In 2020, Station Casinos filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the gaming industry. However, the company emerged from bankruptcy in November of that year after reorganizing its finances and reaching a deal with its creditors.
Where are Station Casinos located?
Station Casinos operates a total of 19 properties, primarily located in the Las Vegas area. Here are the locations of each property:
- Palace Station Hotel & Casino 2411 W. Sahara Avenue, Las Vegas, NV 89102
- Boulder Station Hotel & Casino 4111 Boulder Highway, Las Vegas, NV 89121
- Texas Station Gambling Hall & Hotel 2101 Texas Star Lane, North Las Vegas, NV 89032
- Sunset Station Hotel & Casino 1301 W. Sunset Road, Henderson, NV 89014
- Santa Fe Station Hotel & Casino 4949 N. Rancho Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89130
- Green Valley Ranch Resort Spa & Casino 2300 Paseo Verde Parkway, Henderson, NV 89052
- Red Rock Casino Resort Spa 11011 W. Charleston Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89135
- Fiesta Henderson Casino Hotel 777 W. Lake Mead Parkway, Henderson, NV 89015
- Fiesta Rancho Casino Hotel 2400 N. Rancho Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89130
- Wildfire Anthem 2551 Anthem Village Drive, Henderson, NV 89052
- Wildfire Casino & Lanes 4451 E. Sunset Road, Henderson, NV 89014
- Wildfire Sunset 1195 W. Sunset Road, Henderson, NV 89014
- Wildfire Boulder 2000 S. Boulder Highway, Henderson, NV 89002
- Wildfire Valley View 3045 S. Valley View Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89102
- Wildfire Lake Mead 846 E. Lake Mead Parkway, Henderson, NV 89015
- Wildfire Rancho 1901 N. Rancho Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89106
- Wild Wild West Gambling Hall & Hotel 3330 W. Tropicana Avenue, Las Vegas, NV 89103
- The Palms Casino Resort 4321 W. Flamingo Road, Las Vegas, NV 89103
- The STRAT Hotel, Casino & SkyPod 2000 S. Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas, NV 89104
Games offered at Station Casinos
Station Casinos offers a wide range of gaming options to its patrons. Some of the games that are typically offered at Station Casinos include:
- Slot Machines: These are the most common games offered at casinos, and Station Casinos have a large variety of slot machines to choose from.
- Table Games: These include popular games such as blackjack, baccarat, craps, roulette, and Pai Gow poker.
- Poker: Station Casinos also offer poker rooms where players can participate in live poker games, including Texas Hold’em, Omaha, and Seven Card Stud.
- Sports Betting: Station Casinos offer sportsbooks where customers can place bets on various sports events, including football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and horse racing.
- Bingo: Station Casinos have bingo halls where customers can play bingo games for cash prizes.
- Keno: This is a lottery-like game that is played using a Keno board with numbered balls.
- Race and Sports Book: This is a section of the casino where customers can place bets on horse racing and other sporting events.
Station Casinos offer a diverse range of gaming options to cater to the interests of different players.
Bars at Station Casinos
Station Casinos offer a variety of bars and lounges for their guests to enjoy. Some of the popular bars at Station Casinos include:
- Rocks Lounge: This is a popular live music venue that features local and national acts. It is located at the Red Rock Resort.
- Lucky Bar: This bar is located at the Palms Casino Resort and features a 360-degree view of the casino floor.
- The Drop Bar: This bar is located at the Green Valley Ranch Resort and offers craft cocktails, beer, and wine.
- Revolver Saloon and Dance Hall: This is a country-themed bar located at Santa Fe Station that features live music and line dancing.
- Bar at Times Square: This bar is located at the New York-New York Hotel & Casino and features a dueling piano show.
- 6ix8ight Bar: This bar is located at the Sunset Station and offers a variety of beer, wine, and cocktails.
- Onyx Bar: This bar is located at the Red Rock Resort and offers a luxurious atmosphere with a variety of wine, beer, and cocktails.
Station Casinos offer a diverse range of bars and lounges to cater to the interests of different guests. Whether you’re looking for live music, craft cocktails, or a luxurious atmosphere, there is a bar at Station Casinos for you.
How to reach Station Casinos?
Station Casinos has several properties located in the Las Vegas area, and the best way to reach each property may vary depending on your starting point. However, here are some general guidelines:
- By Car: If you are driving to Las Vegas, Station Casinos properties are easily accessible via major highways such as I-15 and I-215. Each property offers free parking for guests.
- By Taxi or Ride-Share: Taxis and ride-share services such as Uber and Lyft are readily available in Las Vegas, and you can simply provide the address of the property you wish to visit.
- By Public Transportation: The Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC) operates several bus routes that stop near Station Casinos properties. You can use the RTC’s trip planner tool to find the best route.
- By Shuttle: Some Station Casinos properties offer free shuttle service for their guests. Check with the property you wish to visit to see if they offer this service and the schedule.